This versatile and healthy dosa is easy to prepare and a great substitute for whole wheat bread. Buckwheat provides a hearty, slightly nutty flavor that goes well with a variety of fillings, and the simple ingredients used means you can avoid the fillers and additives used in most store-bought bread. We use this dosa for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
Note: This recipe requires the batter to rest for at least 4 hours to allow the flours and water to combine. We prepare this and let it rest overnight so it’s ready to use the next day. After you have let it rest, place in the fridge and use within 2-3 days.
Ingredients to make 4-5 dosas
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup water plus additional 3/4 cup water to add before making dosa
- 1/8 tsp – 1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
- Whisk all ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Cover and let rest at room temperature for at least 4 hours (we let it rest overnight).
- Add 3/4 cup and mix well.
- Set the DosaMaker on temperature setting #2.
- Add a light coating of oil to the top and bottom cooking plates. Pour 3-3.5 oz of batter into the DosaMaker and close.
- Cook for 3 minutes.Open to check the dosa and if desired, cook additional 30 seconds to 1 minute.
The dosa pictured above uses a chocolate spread, peanut butter, and banana filling. The dosa pictured below has a poached egg on top and filled with a spring salad and dressing.